Vertical Programs [VP] are initiatives, which focus on a particular disease or group of diseases. In early 1980's to 1990's different programs such as Reproductive Health Program, National Aids Control Program, National Immunization Program, National TB / Leprosy Program were under the Ministry of Health but each was operating individually in term of logistics. The research findings in Health sector revealed that, running each programs individually in terms of its logistics functions was expensive and hence duplication of resources. In 1996 to improve the efficiency of Health sector, the government integrated within MSD all Vertical Programs logistics functions within MSD operations, the integrated functions were:-
- Coordination of procurement, Storage and Distribution of program medicines, Medical Supplies and Laboratory Reagents.
- Managing receipts of all Medicines, Medical Supplies and Laboratory Reagents supplied by different programs and development Partners (Global Fund, UNICEF, World Health Organization and USAID).
- Give timely report to the programs on stock status to programs and development
The integration strengthened Vertical Programs services likewise lowered the operations costs of programs. This resulted into increase the availability of VP Medicines, Medical Supplies and Laboratory Reagents to the health facilities. Currently MSD operates with different Vertical Programs under the MoHCDGEC and Health development partners who support health initiatives in the Country. The programs are:- Reproductive Health Program, National Aids Control Program, National Immunization Program, National TB/Leprosy Program, Neglected Tropical Disease Program, National Malaria Program, Tanzania Food and Nutrition Program, Dental Program and Others.
On the other hand, MSD receives Health commodities under the support from various development partners such as: - Global Fund, UNICEF, WHO and USAID. All partners either bring in specific health commodities to supplement GOT commodities or direct support in terms of fund for procurement of items to be delivered to facilities. Vertical Program Medicines, Medical Supplies and Laboratory Reagents are delivered to all zones and facilities through different systems:-
- Deliveries based on direct shipment to districts / Regions under push system as directed by the programs. (i.e. Immunizations and TB/Leprosy Program).
- Deliveries based on special campaigns to address specific challenges. (Neglected Tropical Diseases and Tanzania Food and Nutrition Centre) vaccinations, dengue - Smart Push.
- Zones consolidate facility orders and submits them monthly to head quarter for replenishment.
- VP commodities are integrated as per MSD ordering and distribution calendar.
- ARVs and related commodities are delivered on monthly basis to facilities based on Reports and Request forms submitted monthly to all zones by health facilities.